Translate

Thursday 20 February 2014

Building a wood fired bread and pizza oven - Fabricating an oven door

So for my wood fired oven I am going to make the exterior case out of 3mm thick sheet steel.  This evening I wanted to get the front panel that includes the oven door made.  The corners of the exterior of the oven will be made of steel angle section which will give me some room to adjust the position of the panels before welding.  This should enable me to get the position of the door hole closely aligned with the opening of the oven.  To enable fast loading and unloading of the oven, I have opted for a door that is hinged at the top and swings up and our of the way.  I will need to come up with some kind of counter balance to both keep the door shut and open.


I have  got as far as tack welding the door to the front of the oven.  I still have to make the door opener and complete these welds, but for now the tack weld will do as they will be easy to grind off if I need to move something.  I will also spend a bit of time cleaning up with a grinder to make thing look nice.


Currently the door is insulated with high temperature foil faced rock-wool sandwiched between the oven face plate and a stand off plate.  The finished oven door will have the rock-wool and stand off plate sealed by a thin sheet of aluminium to prevent any insulation falling out into the oven.

Hopefully tomorrow the panels will be attached to the oven ready for the loose fill perlite insulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment